Monday, August 13, 2007

Wash, rinse, repeat

I usually follow the dooce rule, but sometimes you just have to talk about work. Actually, I'm going to break a few rules with this one post. Let's see... there is the no talking about work rule, there is the no talking about the bathroom rule, and then there is the absolutely no talking about the bathroom at work rule. But the strangest thing happened the other day and I just had to share it with the world.

I think I've mentioned in my past postings about the guy that refuses to wash his hands after using the restroom. Nada, not even a fake kind of wash. Would it kill you to just run some water and slap your hands under it for a couple of seconds? I'm talking about all kinds of gross here. Did I mention he doesn't flush anything in that very same restroom? I'm just gagging thinking about it. Yep, there's a slight vomit taste in my mouth now.

Okay, going off tangent here. Let's get back on track. You see, I am codependent. Therefore, I have this extremely strong desire to change him to better his behaviour (feeling British today) around me. So, my natural instincts are to make him flush and wash his hands. I just can't help myself. I want him to be a better person. I know, I know... I should'nt be judging him and definitely should not be trying to change anyone other than myself. But damn it, that's really really gross. I've been trying for years to get him to change. I just could never get it to happen. I've shown by example. I've stared at him as he walks out the door. Nothing.

I finally realized that he would not change so I changed my behaviour (Brit dan again). That is why I use no less than three paper towels when opening the door to the bathroom upon exiting. I have taken on a Monkish behaviour (aww, forget it).

Then one day it happened. Like a vision of the Virgin Mary on the mirror, a miracle happened in the bathroom last week. I was washing my hands and just ignored him as he walked out of a stall. I happen to glance up at him and he froze in his tracks. Not a partial freeze, but a deer in the headlights type of freeze. He turned around and went back to flush the toilet. WTF???

I just ignored him again and he started to walk off. I happen to look up again and then he froze again. Strange. He turned around and walked to the sink and washed his hands. Double WTF??? The parent in me wanted to pat his back and give him a treat. He's catching on to this whole potty training thing after all.

A co-worker noticed him follow the exact same pattern later in the week. I'll be damned. Maybe there is hope after all. I still don't take any chances though. It's too good to be true. So now I use four paper towels when opening the door, just in case.

2 comments:

Still just me said...

You should give him 3 M&M's for flushing, and 4 for washing his hands!

Racer X said...

I would, but I'm really afraid what he'd do with 'em. I forgot to mention that he would also take an open cup of ice into the bathroom with him. He set it on the sink, do his business and then grab the cup and walk out.

Lord knows what kind of bacteria is living in his system.