I've decided to go running today to fulfill my new year's resolution for the marathon training. I used to run every day a few months ago, but I haven't run in at least two months. By the time I left work and made it to the trail, it was dark and cold. I layered up and went on my run.
Oh my gawd. It was freaking cold. To begin with, I haven't run in a while and the air made it hard to breathe. I also am a competitive person and wanted to just pick up my running where I last left off. I know that's a stupid thought, but I tried very hard to maintain my old pace. I'm freaking hurting now. I tried to run three miles, but ended up running half of that and walking the other half. Very pathetic indeed. It's a good thing I have a year to prepare for the marathon.
I'm hoping that by going more often, I can adjust my body to the cold air and it won't burn so much when I breathe.
On a positive note, I finished one book already for the year. One down, fourteen to go. The book was Digital Fortress by Dan Brown. Very good book. I highly recommend all of his books. I have read all of his others except Deception Point. I plan on buying that one soon, but I have to start my next book first. I'm currently reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I heard the book was really good and I want to see the play. It's coming to Houston in a few months.
Anyway, I'm off to take some pain medication and rest these old bones.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
A friend of mine recently mailed me a book entitled...Working Out, Working Within, The Tao of Inner Fitness Through Sports and Exercise. I am still reading but recommend it! Below is the synopsis.
During physical training, we can experience something deeper than just the burn of working out. We can achieve spiritual awareness and know that we are alive and healthy. Working Out, Working Within offers readers techniques and suggestions to avoid fixating on winning the game, scoring the goal, or building the perfect body. Instead our workouts can become tools for personal transcendence as we get to know ourselves, test our limits, gather personal strength, and build physical potency.
Good luck in your training efforts!
Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll have to check it out.
I believe in a similar philosophy regarding physical fitness and spiritual growth. When I run, I have the most intense inner peace. I can run in a zen like trance and not even notice the world around me.
Post a Comment